Candy, cookies and sugar oh my! We love it, we eat it up like our life depends on it. Oh, and chips and crunchy munchy food too. We crave it, dive into it with gusto and feel the sweet fulfillment our addiction needed for its fix. Our body can’t process it as fast as we eat it leading to Type 2 Diabetes, obesity, and a whole slew of other health issues.
I’ve been a ketogenic proponent for years. When I first started cutting sugar, breads and carbohydrates out of my eating, it was Atkins for me. I read the books, studied the research and tried it for myself. It worked! The best thing is how clear I think and how much energy I have when I cut sugars and carbs. If I go back to junk eating I get bloated, irritable, gain weight, and get ‘fog brain.’
Turns out sugar is not good for us. Not at the rate we eat it anyways. I’m not saying a doughnut or piece of cake once in a while will destroy you. What I am saying is that sugar is the bane of our weight loss struggles and many of the health issues our society faces.
Sugar is in a lot of foods. Foods you wouldn’t think needed sugar. For example, a name brand granola bar has 29 grams of carbohydrates. Carbs are made up of sugars, starches, and fiber. The fiber is subtracted from the carbohydrates leaving the remainder broken down as sugar. Flavored yogurts, breads, and even flavored bottles of water all have added unnecessary sugars.
Why is sugar everywhere?
Sugar is a preservative. It lengthens the shelf life of food. It’s a cheap way for manufacturers to prolong the life of their product.
Sugar is addicting. Eating sugar releases the ‘feel good’ chemicals making you want more.
Eating sugar isn’t as filling as eating high fiber foods so you’ll get hungrier faster and eat more food sooner.
Break the addiction, feel better physically, think clearer mentally and lose weight!
- Start today, right now. Yes, now.
- Start small so you don’t talk yourself out of it.
- Cut out adding sugar to anything. Not in the coffee, not over a bowl of cereal.
- Look at those labels, see those carbs? That’s sugar (minus the fiber). Notice it’s everywhere.
- Now, get in the mindset to cut your intake of carbohydrates down to 20 grams a day. Whoa! Is that even possible? Yes, yes it is. You have to want to do this, your brain and your body will fight you on this, but, if your WILL is ready, you will win this battle.
- Try the low-carb way of eating for 2 weeks. Just 2, poof, it’ll go by fast. Notice how those sugar cravings have subsided, your sleep is better, the scale has gone down, your energy is steady all day, and your brain is clearer than it’s been in a long time? That’s what a no sugar, low-carb way of eating does for you. Now keep it up, you can do this!
I’m not a doctor and I recommend you discuss any health issues with them before you begin.
I also recommend that you avoid any processed foods. Eat fresh meats, steamable veggies that are microwaveable, and get to love fats. Fats are flavor and the fuel your body craves and needs.
For more information and before you begin this journey to weight loss and the ketogenic way of eating, check out this free app, Keto Diet for Beginners, from Amazon – yes, it’s free! https://amzn.to/2S9mD4C
Good luck and good health to you!